How to Spot a Zombie Tree Before Disaster Strikes
Have you ever heard of a seemingly healthy tree falling during a storm? If so, it’s likely what arborists call a “zombie tree.” Zombie trees are almost entirely dead on the inside and may look perfectly healthy on the outside.
They can be a serious hazard because they could fall on your house or car and cause significant damage, costing you money and time. If you’ve been looking for a way to protect your home and family from these terrifying zombie trees, this article is definitely for you!
What is a Zombie Tree?
A zombie tree looks perfectly healthy on the outside but is dead on the inside. These trees can be found anywhere on your property near your home and driveway or in backyards where children play. While they may not seem like a big deal at first glance (and often don’t pose immediate danger), zombies are extremely dangerous because they can fall on people and property, causing damage and harm if left unchecked. Zombie trees also threaten power lines and other infrastructure, so be sure to take note of all potential zombie tree threats on your property!
How Does a Tree Become a Zombie Tree?
The cause of a zombie tree is rooted in a few different environmental factors, so it’s essential to understand how they become a zombie tree before you try to spot them. Below are just a few factors that can affect the health of your trees, causing this issue.
- Root damage
- Compacted soil
- Poor drainage
- Insect infestation or drought stress
How Do You Spot a Zombie Tree?
There are a few telltale signs that indicate your tree may be dead. If any of these happen, it’s time to call in the professionals for some help.
- Look for dead branches. Check whether any branches are brown, yellow, or gray – indicating that they’re dead and could fall at any time.
- Look for dead tops of the tree. If there are no leaves on top of your tree, it’s probably not getting enough sunlight and water to stay alive – which means it’s probably about to die!
- Look for any branches that are not living – Branches should look green when healthy; if they’re dry or brownish-yellow, it could indicate something is seriously wrong.
- The tree’s leaves are wilting and falling off. This could be due to various factors, but it’s worth mentioning because it could mean that the tree has been infected with something—and if you don’t remove it soon, it might become too late.
- You may notice a foul odor from your tree’s trunk or limbs. A rotten scent coming from one of your trees is also an indicator that something may be wrong.
How Can I Prevent My Tree from Becoming a “Zombie Tree”?
A regular tree care program is the best way to prevent your trees from being transformed into zombie trees. Proper pruning, fertilizing, and watering will keep your trees healthy and strong. If you have any questions about how to maintain your trees, contact SB Tree Service today!
Can You Fix a Zombie Tree?
Unfortunately, zombie trees are past the point of help. Our tree care experts can provide you with a free assessment of your trees to ensure they are completely dead before removing them. Once we have determined they are a hazard, our removal service team will be able to safely and effectively remove any zombie trees on your property before disaster strikes!
Our ISA Certified Arborist is Here is Help!
It’s no secret that zombie trees are bad news. Not only do they threaten human life, but they are only a nuisance to the surrounding ecosystem. By learning how to spot a zombie tree, you can help prevent a disaster before it starts by identifying and removing any infected trees from your property as soon as possible.
We hope this article has helped show you how to spot a zombie tree. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us today. We would love to help!
Want to learn more about the dangers of zombie trees? Check out our feature in Fox 35 Orlando’s recent news story!